"Hurd Shoe Company"
D.D. Hurd began as a shoe salesman in 1867 for the firm Case & Tallman. When the firm dissolved in 1892 Hurd formed a partnership with M.J. Fitzgerald, a traveling salesman for the old firm. In 1911 the two erected a modern five story brick building at the corner of Main and First streets in Utica, New York in order to house heir ever-expanding shoe and rubber goods company.
Dissolving in the 1980's, the Hurd Shoe Company managed to survive the challenges of new markets, new styles and distribution methods throughout the years. During the companies latter years, they became wholesalers in the footwear and hosiery business. It handled men's dress and work shoes, sneakers, children's shoes and women's sport and casual shoes.
Examples of early 20th century Hurd shoes